Seems like /DEBUG:FASTLINK prevents OpenCppCoverage from running

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:43 AM
I'm getting
Error: FileDebugInformation.cpp:78 Error when calling SymFromAddr
when I'm using /DEBUG:FASTLINK. And it works fine without it. Since FASTLINK is pretty useful I think that it would be great if this scenario would be supported. Thank you in adavance
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:41 PM
So I've done some research and:
  1. I'm using windows 8.1 currently
  2. It seems that problem is that pdbs generated with /DEBUG:FASTLINK could be used only with later version of dbghelp.dll (~10 instead of ~6).
  3. But in the end I came to sort of deadlock here, I have newer version of dbghelp in Windows Kits but replacing the one in system32 (which isn't perfectly good thing to do anyway) leads to other error about Tools.dll not finding MiniDumpWriteDump. Replacing it with the one straight from Windows 10 leads to even more obscure errors (possibly because of some related dlls not updated).
One of possible solutions: upgrade windows to 10. I may also try to recompile OpenCppCoverage on my machine to see if it changes anything.
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2016 at 7:43 PM
Hello,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

If you need to use a newer version of dbghelp, you should recompile OpenCppCoverage otherwise you have a mismatch between .lib and .dll files.

Supporting /DEBUG:FASTLINK is something I will work on it for the next release (No idea when it will be ready).
In the meantime, is it possible for you to not used /DEBUG:FASTLINK when you want code coverage?

Note: See here to have more information about the dependencies.

I hope this will help,

OpenCppCoverage
Coordinator
Feb 26 at 12:24 PM
Hello,

OpenCppCoverage 0.9.6 should work with /DEBUG:FASTLINK on Windows 7 / Windows 10.

Let me know if you have any issues on Windows 8.1.

OpenCppCoverage